The Hall Built By Crusaders

The Hall Built By Crusaders
Fort Bragg Lion's Club

Some buildings change their purpose every generation. The hall at 430 E. Redwood Avenue, just east of Fort Bragg's downtown, has changed its owners again and again for more than 125 years and somehow never changed its purpose at all. It has almost always been a place where people gather.

It went up in 1895 as Kalevala Hall, built by the town's Finnish Temperance Society — immigrants who wanted a room of their own for meetings and dances and the business of a young community. In the decades that followed it became Redmen Hall, home to fraternal rituals and club nights. During the timber era it connected to the International Woodworkers of America, a union office in a mill town built on wood. In the 1990s the Mendocino Repertory Company staged performances inside it. Today it belongs to the Fort Bragg Lions Club.

"Everyone in town has been inside that building for something — a dance, a meeting, a play, a meal." (placeholder quote for layout testing)

A service club, and a room that keeps working

The Lions chapter that owns the hall now fills it the way its previous tenants did: with meetings, service projects, and the ordinary machinery of community effort. Their work runs from eyeglass programs to holiday drives, and longtime residents still bring up the club's Toy Run and, more recently, an escape-room night in the old hall.

What ties all of it together — the temperance crowd, the fraternal orders, the union men, the actors, the Lions — is the room itself, still doing the one thing it was built to do.

A few of the hall's lives:

  • 1895 ‚Äî built as Kalevala Hall by the Finnish Temperance Society
  • Early 20th century ‚Äî Redmen Hall, fraternal gatherings
  • Timber era ‚Äî tied to the International Woodworkers of America
  • 1990s ‚Äî performances by the Mendocino Repertory Company
  • Today ‚Äî owned and run by the Fort Bragg Lions Club

This is placeholder text created for design and layout testing only.