From Potato Fields to Dana Street — 50 Years of Fort Bragg High

From Potato Fields to Dana Street — 50 Years of Fort Bragg High
Fort Bragg High School today

The campus on Dana Street has taught Fort Bragg's teenagers for sixty years now, long enough that the land's earlier life — cattle and potato fields — has faded out of living memory for most who pass it. When the current Fort Bragg High School opened its doors for classes in September 1965, it sat at the leading edge of a town spreading outward from its old downtown core.

The school itself was older than the building. A Fort Bragg High existed back in 1937, tied to Cotton Auditorium, decades before anyone graded a paper on Dana Street. What arrived in 1965 was a new home for an identity the town had already carried a long time.

"You measure a place like this in class years — who came before you, who came after." (placeholder quote for layout testing)

The first class, and the teachers people still name

The Class of 1966 holds a small distinction: it was the first to graduate from the Dana Street campus. In the years that followed, the school gathered the kind of institutional memory that outlasts any building. Longtime English teacher and counselor Mrs. Richmond, who worked here from 1970 to 1985, is still named by former students decades on.

Facilities have come and gone, updated and rebuilt as the decades turned. What holds steady is the way families keep time by it — in graduations, remembered teachers, and friendships that started in its hallways.

A few markers along the way:

  • 1937 ‚Äî an earlier Fort Bragg High, associated with Cotton Auditorium
  • 1940s ‚Äî the future campus land still farmed, with cattle and potato fields
  • September 1965 ‚Äî the current Dana Street campus opens for classes
  • 1966 ‚Äî the first graduating class from the new campus

This is placeholder text created for design and layout testing only.